Thursday 19 February 2015

Scented Cards


Hi Everybody,
thanks so much for all your lovely comments, they are very much appreciated.
Today's post is based on my Spotlight Feature over at STAMPlorations.
This time I had a go at making my own embossing paste, something I have been wanting to try for quite a while. Making your own paste is a really good way to explore the use of embossing paste, especially as most of you will have the ingredients needed already at home. You simply mix some talcum powder with some PVA glue for a gooey consistency similar to a sponge cake mix, and you're ready to go. The added bonus is that it can make wonderfully scented cards as the perfume of the talcum powder will last for quite a while.
Here is my first card, actually my very first attempt at using home made embossing paste:
I was working with the ARTplorations Stencils: Bold Florals. Keeping it simple I only decided to use one flower and masked the rest off using post it notes, as you can see in the picture below.
I had coloured my embossing paste using about 5 drops of red ink refill which matched my card stock. I then spread a little of my mixture across my flower using an old credit/store card, removed my stencil, sprinkled some glitter over my flower and allowed it to dry. Once dried I rounded a couple of corners, stamped my sentiment, from the Bold Sentiments: Hello set, layered on my cream base card and added a cluster of gems to my flower center to finish.

Here is another image which captures the sparkle a little better. I rather like the simplicity of the coloured blossom with the added glitter combined with the bold sentiment.
Next up is a slightly different take using the ARTplorations Stencils: Shutters still keeping with the same overall colour scheme:
This time I used the whole of the stencil image to cover a piece of white card. I securely attached my card to the stencil, reverse side, before spreading my embossing paste across. Once dried, I layered onto matching red card, added some faux stitching in dark grey, stamped, layered and added my sentiment, Bloom Sketches: Sunflower Artsybefore finishing off using some tiny golden stars, which were a real bargain buy from the pound shop's nail art section. :-)
As always there is a little video explaining how I mixed my embossing paste, showing the texture I achieved and the usual tips as I go along with getting messy.

Hope you feel inspired to get messy making some scented cards.
Have a lovely weekend.

hugs
Monika xxx

PS: Mine is Imperial Leather, we've had it for ages and used to use it to treat the rubber seals around the caravan windows.

preview-web-stencil-002-bold-florals.jpeg preview-web-stencil-006-shutters.jpeg stmp1068.jpeg 
Poppy Parade ink refill and card from Stampin'Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Your comments are very much appreciated. Have a lovely day! Hugs XXX